What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Friday, May 05, 2006

Incompetent Idiots...

Today is bad.. one of those days where I really feel that I am surround by incompetent fools... idiots who are not supposed to hold any high positions...

Case 01
There is a video wall in the Operation Centre, and my boss wants to display one monitoring tool onto it so can 'showcase' our comprehensive monitoring.. As the browser has shown some error, I've requested the OC Supervisor to start the browser, as we do not have access to the video wall. He turned around and tell me that we need to fix the problem as they are not (that) free to keep restarting the monitoring tool. I explained to him that the browser is accessing a server in US for the monitoring service, thus there is nothing we can do to 'minimise' such errors, as there are way too many break point. He refused to accept this and keep insisting that I do something about it. I told him frankly that this will soon NOT be my problem anymore, so that's it.

Then later when he finally login and restart the browser for the monitoring tool, he kept doing it wrongly.. MY GOODNESS!! They have been logging in to the monitoring tool since end of last year!! And yet he can don't know how to do it!! No wonder, one of my ex-colleague commented that that fella is 'retarded'...

Case 02
One of my monitoring guy was on MC yesterday, and today he is supposed to be doing night shift. I had to sms him to ask him if he is well enough to come to work. He called me saying that his throat still hurts, etc, etc, etc, but say he can still work tonight. Hearing this, it is obvious that he wants the night off, so I told him to take mc tonight and I'll get someone to cover his shift.

As I have 2 'floater' analysts who are supposed to stand in whenever one of the permanent shift analysts goes on MC or on leave, so I wanted to activate them to cover tonight's shift. However, both of them says that they can't make it as they had something urgent to attend to, and with one of my analyst on leave, I do not have anyone to cover. Thus I had no choice but to ask the sick analyst to come back to work. Of course, I wrote an email to my HP boss, telling him how useless those two 'floater' analysts are. A snipplet of my email to my HP boss:

There has been several last minute changes to the rosters this week, and I was in need of the floaters to cover. However, the support is not there, not at the level that Bernard has given.

Maybe Bernard has set a high standard as a floater, but seriously, if floaters cannot cover these last minute changes, and if every time I need them to cover, I need to "PRE-BOOK" them in advance and make sure there is no 'miscommunication', then I don’t see the reason to get 2 floaters…

Seeing all these problems, seriously APAO team need a Lead to be around to monitor and manage them. Can Ron do it? I seriously doubt so.. So unless you wanna take up the job of managing APAO yourself, I ask you to consider this arrangement thoroughly, as I do not want to be 'caretaker' or to 'babysit' APAO for Ron.


So you can see that I've also gave him a piece of my mind and no more 'giving face' or give 'respect'. And to make things worst, a 'permanent HP staff' who has no authority over my monitoring team or myself started questioning me as to why the need to ask those 2 'floater' analysts to cover, why didnt I activate my other analysts to cover, etc. I was sooooo bloody pissed off. I told him off saying that I had no choice but to activate one of the 'floater' analysts so last minute as I cant find any replacement, and it seemed he went running to my HP boss, who is currently on reservist. So it seems to me that those 2 'floater' analysts are reluctant to cover duty tonight, thus trying to find 'support' from this guy.. One of them even gave the wrong information to the other Team Lead so that he would not seems to be the one at fault! So in the end, I had to be the bad guy, asking a sick subordinate to come to work a 14-hours shift, because no one is willing to cover his shift.

Then miraculously, at 3pm, the other Team Lead called me saying one of the 'floater' analyst will be available to cover tonight's shift!! WOW!! After I made a big 'commotion' someone who has something urgent can suddenly be available!!

My boss replied "Let me know the details so that I can speak to the 2 floaters. Thank you." Well, I am not going to reply him. It will not be my problem very soon, so why should I bother to 'discipline' those 2 'floater' analysts? I can't wait to pass this team to the original team lead and wash my hands of them.. It is giving more headache that it is worth. In fact, I was not even 'compensated' to take up this team lead role, so why should I waste my time and effort helping to solve a problem that would soon NOT be mine.. I have totally gave up on the analysts in my monitoring team except for one whom I've recommended to be promoted to be Assistant Team Lead. With proper Standard Operation Procedures estabalished, they can still make the same mistakes time and again, until I'm sick of reminding them any further.

Vomitted lots of blood today.. feeling anemic and tired... Really hope I can get 'it'.. then I can't wait to tender...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home