What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Polling Station at my Block...

Received a notice in my mailbox today. It's from the Town Council, asking residents of my block to park their vehicles elsewhere from 8pm tomorrow night til 3pm this Saturday. It seems that there will be a polling station at the void deck of my block!!

WOW!! Election action right under my feet (literally)!! Too bad I won't be around this weekend to witness this. I'll be going back to Msia this weekend, which actually is a quick stop over at KL on Sunday. Hope to get back on Sunday night, or else I will need to take urgent leave on Monday. As to why the rush back, I shall blog it in due course.... :)

This Spore election has been quite interesting. Because of the fact that my block belongs to the Ang Mo Kio GRC which is lead by PM Lee and is challenged by the Workers Party, this has made it an interesting scene to me. OF course, not to mention that there are several Opposition party supporters (Workers Party to be precise) in my office who have shown me a different side of the Sporean psyche with regards to politics.

From what I gathered from talks, newspapers and the media, there is several typical political attitudes displayed by Sporeans:

01. The Bo-chap
They dont care who is their MP(s) or what will the MP(s) do for them, they just want to get on with their lives. Election to them is like a minor nuisance, and if they have to vote on voting day, they will do so, but very reluctantly.

02. The Blur
They don't even know what constituency they belong to, not to mention who their MP(s) is/are. They don't know if they are required to vote or not on polling day. They will wait for the government to send them their polling cards.

03. The Passionate (aka Opposition Supporter)
They will attend all the Oppositions' rallies, rain or shine, and will discuss about the cons of voting for PAP. They have already made up their mind to vote for the Opposition party, regardless of what the PAP say or what the Opposition Party stands for. They are just rebels.

04. The Whites (aka PAP Supporter)
They are the exact opposite of the Opposition Supporter, they are prepared to just mark an 'X' next to the lightning on polling day without much delibration. To them, there is no government other than PAP.

05. The Kiasi (aka Closet Opposition Supporter)
They want to vote for the Opposition, but is afraid to do so. They fear for their lives and the future of their children. Although they are not very happy with some of the things the PAP government has done, they are not willing to cast a vote to make their feelings known.

06. The 'Yes to Opposition, but not in my Ward' Supporter
They want a strong Opposition in parliment, they want alternative voices, they want someone who will check on and keep the government on its toes, but they wont want it to be their constituency to be the odd one out. They want their upgrading more, they want their linked walkways more, and they definitely want their flats to be valued more....



I am very interested in knowing how many percent of votes will the PAP party garner this election... It will shape how the government will manage the country in the next 4 - 5 years... Although I'm just a PR, but whatever measures/laws/rulings the Singapore government make in the next few years will have a great impact on MY future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home