What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

And they asked me again...

Yesterday, my bosses (both HP and VISA) asked me to go downstairs to a cafe for coffee.. When she called, I immediately knew what it was all about...

Well, they have been looking for someone to be the 'assistant' to my VISA boss, managing the teams, which will comprise of my current application support team and the server administrators. She wanted to delegate all her current BAU (Business As Usual) tasks and jobs to this person, and free herself to do other things.. This person will have to handle all BAUs, audit preparation, BCM planning, attending meeting on operational issues, etc. To put it plainly, she wants someone to do her dirty job... to be the one to be blame by the development department for executing her process and procedures that sometimes doesn't make sense.. to be the scapegoat to pin the blame on if any complaints about operations come in.. That person has to handle her, manage her in a sense, while at the same time manage the group of engineers who will be doing the grunt work (which is us). So, I told both of them almost immediately that I'm not interested, as I dont think I'm a good enough manager to do the job. I do not want the responsibility that will come with it and I not 奸 enough to be a manager. And since I know I wont be able to do a good job, why make the people under me suffer? That's what I told them... :P

This is the third time they ask me to take up a 'managing' position.. I rejected them the first time when they ask me to be the team lead for the application support team. The second time was to take charge of the application monitoring team, which I agreed to and is currently doing. This is the third time. If the job scope has more prospects and this managerial role is a permanent position, I will take it up. But being a 'contracted' manager is a double whammy to me. 非常吃力不讨好。With the added responsibilities and the title of 'Manager', one's salary does not necessarily reflects such 'promotion'. Without a decent pay raise and still remaining as a contracted staff, I would rather spend my time doing things that I like, for example taking Japanese lessons and doing translations jobs.

Frankly, the title 'Manager' is overrated. Everyone wants to be a manager, but not everybody can be a good manager. Rather than being a manager who is being cursed for incompetentcy (and/or other idiotic behaviours), I rather stay as an engineer doing the cursing! :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home