What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Monday, February 20, 2006

Zero-sum Game

Today I received the email notification from my placement company, who send me to HP-VISA Project, informing me that there is an increment (of less than 5%) for me.

I don't feel particularly excited about this increment, although I should be as this is regarded as a bonus. Yes, based on my contract, any increment is strictly up to the good will of HP management. So I am supposed to be happy about it, but I don't.

Why?

Firstly, I am doing (far) more than I am first employed to do. Overloaded is the word. I need to do BAUs, projects, troubleshooting of applications and managing a group of Analysts whom everybody knows is doing not-very-value-added tasks. Even as I am being swampped by these tasks/workload, I continue to leave office at 5:30pm, as I do not feel a sense of ownership of the work/tasks/projects. I know I can perform better, it's just that there is no(t enough) motivation to make me wanna. How sad...

Secondly, I can't help but to compare what I'm getting with what the others in my team are getting. I got to know what all of them are drawing, no thanks to a BIG blunder by the HP Manager. So if I'm getting an increment, I don't see why they won't. And their pays are much higher than mine to begin with, that discourage me from wanting to put in extra efforts. I will do my part of the job/tasks, equivalent to the salary that they are paying me. Including all the disturbances of midnight/unearthly-hours phone calls that I've been receiving, I can say with clear conscious that I've done my part of the bargain.

Lastly, the increment is given without any performance evaluation done. So how fair could it be? On what criteria did they based our increment percentage on?

So frankly, being on contract doesn't encourage one putting as much effort as one would if one is a permanent staff. You pay what you get. Having a fixed contractural terms from the very begining and no performance evaluation in between, why should one work exceptionally hard? As long as one do not make serious mistakes, one will be able to just sit through the whole contract period.

For me, I'll save up the increment for my trip to Tokyo this Oct. Hopefully it could get me a few decent meals in downtown Tokyo..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home