What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And they asked me to lead... (final part)

And finally it was decided... I am not suitable as I lack the technical skills.. What the F**K!! That was what I told my VISA boss last friday when she first approached me for the position!! After spending 40 minutes convincing me that I'm more suitable regardless of my technical background, she sprang this on me.. Bloody hell!!

To quote her:
Imm says:
so better let Johnson be the lead..
Sophie says:
actually knowing more is not important but it is the planning part that I think you are definitely more experience than both of them
Imm says:
it depends on wat u need from e team lead..
Imm says:
for Servers, i've a lot lot more to learn..
Sophie says:
actually not knowing the details may not be the trouble as this is something that we can train... however if you are doing SO, do you think you can still do both sides ?
Sophie says:
meaning still doing the teamsite and web application areas ?
Imm says:
then i dont think that will be very fair to Server Ops team.. cos they need someone who can help troubleshoot and maintain/administrate the servers..
Imm says:
instead of 1 person, they r getting 0.5 effort from me..
Imm says:
so i think i concentrate on Teamsite and Web Apps la.
Imm says:
unless Jeff is going to hand-hold me all e way..
Sophie says:
actually this is something that I can discuss with Jeff... I don't think he will mind
Imm says:
i can help in cleaning and streamlining the process and SOP in Server team, but technically I can't see much contribution from me...
Sophie says:
actually in long term, the entire team structure is going to change... so I don't see much issue on this... anyway, Jeff is still around and if you really cannot do, can still check with him... he is supposed to be the lead for all



The above is part of the exchanges we had last friday. Then this morning,
Sophie says:
regarding the server ops lead, we have discussed and consider both your strengths and Johnson's strength.... you are very good in yr management skill, process and a very detailed person... as for Johnson, his advantage is his technical knowledge in this area...
Sophie says:
however due to Jeff is going to be my assistance and he will not be available to do the SO tasks, the lead also need to interprete SI changes, instructions and etc... we think that Johnson may be more suitable as it needs the technical skills... and has least impacts to the entire OSPS team...
Sophie says:
I hope u don't mind


So how else can I response?? I am pissed. It wasn't because I'm keen on the job in the first place, but what pissed me the most is that they (the management) never thought things through before action. If they would have stood by their decision to promote Johnson, and not be swayed by Daniel's suggestion of promoting me and not approached me if they are not sure, all these unhappiness will not have occured. That shows how 'good' their management skills are, and it is no wonder that the morale of the team is always so low. They like to 开空头支票 and 信口开河, without thinking how their action will affect the team.

Thus my motto of 人不为己,天诛地灭 holds true.. Therefore no more extra responsibility for this job, no matter how they beg me.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Bob Goh said…

    Bosses or management are always like that. Out of so many companies I joined, I hardly could find a good management which I could admire, envy and learn from them. Of course you could learn some dirty tricks along the way if you wanted to.

    The company I work now faced the same problem (Just like re-incarnation, life repeat again! ha!). My company is basically a husband and wife corporation. The husband is the CEO and the wife is the CFO. One acts as Angel, the other one plays the role of Devil. You know what would happen if you ask top management for certain important decision.

    If I take it seriously, my hypertension will turn into ultratension.

    Life is short and painful. Do the job heartedly but don't take it too seriously. Love your job but not your company.

    Whatever you do HUA HI TIO HO (欢喜就好) as long as it does not against the law.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
    »

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home