What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Sunday, July 30, 2006

My 7 days of low carb diet

Didnt think I could do it but I did!!

It all started with one of my colleague who told some of us of his theory of weight loss. He came out with a theory, after consulting many many many health books etc, that if one is to starve one's body of carbs for 7 days, giving it only about 20g of it, the body will be tricked to find and use other source of energy, namely the fats. He tried it and it worked on him, making himself lost 5kg within 7 days.

Well, doesn't it sound tempting?? Eat anything but carbs for 7 days and lose 5 kg?? Even losing 3kg within 7 days is big enough motivation for me... And so I decided to give this diet a try.. and boy, was it tough!

Preparation work
How can one survive on protein and fats alone if one does not do homework?? For about 2 weeks, I went to various supermarkets (Fairprice, Shop and Save, Cold Storage, etc) and start reading all the labels on all the food products. Can food, frozen food, packed food, pre-packed food, preserved food, drinks and beverages, whatever that I can get my hands on.. Then I realised lots of the common food that we eat contains tons of carbohydrates. In the end I realised I had to survive on tuna in oil, tuna in water, eggs, all meat and poultry, all green leafy vegetables, no cereal/milk/ribena/bread/noodles/rice/garlic/tomato/chili/anything with flour/sugar. The only seasoning I can use is sesame oil, butter, a little bit of pepper and a very little bit of soy sauce.

Day One (22 Jul)
Started it on a Saturday so i can cook for myself and not rely on canned tuna or sausages yet. So I had steamed minced pork (with sesame oil) with toufu for breakfast which I didn't really finish. Lunch I had almond nuts. Dinner was stew pork with vegetable.
Total carbs: around 15g
Verdict: Survived the first day with no side effects...

Day Two (23 Jul)
Breakfast was butter prawns. Lunch was again almond nuts. Dinner was one whole fish (黑鲳鱼). Went for a jog in the evening, ran about 4.5km. Didn't want to push myself too much as this is only my second day..
Total carbs: almost 20g
Verdict: Survived but begining to miss those sweet stuff, especially my Ribena...

Day Three (24 Jul)
First day of dieting at work. Didnt know what to expect. Had 3 softboiled eggs before going to work, but could barely last till lunch time. Had to have some almond nuts to 'tahan'. Went to get coach tickets to go home with Bro on 5th during lunch time. Once back in office, ate my first can of tuna in olive oil. I'm beginning to have 2nd thoughts on this diet.. Went to NTUC Fairprice and bough a packet of individually packed cheese and ate half of them in the 2nd half of the day. Went home to cook my dinner. Had canned 扣肉with vegetable.
Total carbs: around 16g
Verdict: Survived but starting to regret...

Day Four (25 Jul)
Again, 3 softboiled eggs before leaving the house. Then went for breakfast with my colleagues and had 2 more scramble eggs and 3 sausages but skipped the kaya toast. Had teh o kosong... Lunch was 5 sausages that I've brough from home. Dinner was chicken chop with vegetables.
Total carbs: almost 20g
Verdict: Surviving.. happy that I'm half way there... I can see the light...

Day Five (26 Jul)
Same, had 3 soft-boiled eggs and some almonds. No sausages for breakfast. Feeling gung-ho and went jogging during lunch time. Ran for 30 min and covered about 3.6km, was very proud of myself. In the end, suffered the 2nd half of the day in office. Hungry like mad, but cant eat any carbs, so had to eat a lot of almonds and cheese to 'tahan'. Went home and had 5 sausages for dinner. Whole body very lembik.. weak.. hallucinating about roti.. bread.. all kinds of bread..
Total carbs: around 15g
Verdict: I WANT MY CARBS!!! (must tahan...) Mind over stomach..

Day Six (27 Jul)
Almost there... had 3 softboiled eggs. had breakfast (another 2 more eggs and 3 sausages).. cheese for lunch.. although I went with my colleagues to the hawker center, I sat there watching them eat.. I realised that I can withstand the temptation! I can look at them and not feel the urge to grab their food away and eat it myself.. I've gotten used to the hunger bangs and the bland taste of my food.. Maybe I can really succeed in it..
Total carbs: around 12g
Verdict: I can do it, I can do it.. 2 more days..

Day Seven (28 Jul)
OH!! Last day of the diet.. I'm at the final home stretch.. again, same routine (3 eggs at home, 2 eggs and 3 sausages at work) for breakfast.. Went to Kuan Yin Temple for prayers as my colleagues decided to go to the nearby hawker center for lunch.. Went back office and had my cheese.. Dinner was 10 sausages.. :P Didn't realise that I could still eat so many sausages at one go.. but who can blame me? I had nothing at work after lunch except cheese... Counting down to midnight..
Total carbs: almost 20g
Verdict: I MADE IT!!

After 7 looooong days, I only lost 1kg.. but I gained much insight to my own discipline and determination. I am one who love food, who wont deprive myself from having any food that I crave, so for me to deny myself food (especially bread and noodles) for 7 days and live on nothing but protein and fats, it is an accomplishment. At least now I know the low carb diet doesnt work on me... :P

Think I better stick to eat normally/less and exercise more to lose weight..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home