What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Monday, July 10, 2006

ITALY won the WORLD CUP!!!

YES!! Italy has finally won the World Cup for the 4th time of their history, becoming the country after Brazil with the most wins...

Didn't want to watch the match early this morning, but was woken up by some loud screaming from somewhere within my block. Since i was woken up, I decided to catch some last World Cup action, although I know very well that I need to go to work at 7am...

When I switched on my TV, France was leading 1-0 with Zidane's penalty. I was determined to cheer Italy on for them to get an equaliser. And surely at the 19th min, Materrazi scored a superb header from Pirlo's corner kick.. Barthez had no chance at all.. I was hooked and has decided that I will watch the entire match, not knowing that the outcome of the match will not be determined until almost 2 hours later... The French's attacks were very dangerous but they had no answer to Italy's solid defence.

Then full 90 minutes had pasted, 1st extra time was over too and now it was the final 15 min before the match goes into penalty shootout. Out of sudden there was commotion on the field, Italian goalkeeper Buffon was frantic about something and there was an Italian player down on the ground. Soon, the marvel of technology showed what had actually happened. Seemed like Zidane had head-putted Materrazi onto the floor!! This is sooo un-Zidane. Materrazi must have really gotten onto his nerve or Zidane's nerve was really tighten until it snapped on Materrazi who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The referee had no choice but to give Zidane a red card and ordered him off the field. What a sad ironic way of ending one's football career??!!!

Now only 10 men, France soldiered on. But alas, Italy was not able to capitalise on the 1 man advantage and the match went to penalty shoot-out... With Italy's horrible penalty shootout record, I was really worried that history might repeat itself as in 1994 where Baggio missed his penalty.

Luckily, it was French player (Trezeguet) who choked and in the end handed the 2006 World Cup to ITALY!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home