What is Imm Doing?

A Place for my family and friends to know what I've been up to and what I'll be doing. 一个交待行踪和报平安的管道。。

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Interpretation Exam! 口译考试!

Had my exam for my 7th module: Interpretation.

It was a short but painful 20 mins. Had to sit there, listen to the tape for 2 separate speeches (one in English, the other in Chinese) and then interprete them accordingly.

I didn't do very well for the one from English to Chinese. My vocab for magazine-related chinese terms was very much lacking and my mind kinda frooze. Not to mention that I'm full of antibiotics because of my flu and fever. Brain wasn't functioning at 100%, but I won't use that as an excuse. Hopefully I can still get around 75 and above for this module so that my average can still maintain at 80.

But I need to say this: The lecturer from Nanjing University is good. She is good.. Although she is just an associate professor and should be no more than a few years older than me, she is very good at interpretation. Both from English to Chinese and Chinese to English. She is well-trained and had plenty of actual experience to share during her class. She opened my eyes to the world of interpreters, which I know I am not suitable for. The fact that I tend to stumble and mumble and my mind tend to go slow-mo when nervous is a clear indicator of this. Maybe if I were to go into this field in my late teens or early twenties and study this as a career, I might do well in it. I can still remember the days of syarahan and 演讲. :) I bet with enough practise and exposure I could have done as good as her. But now it's all water under the bridge.. No amount of what-ifs could turn back the clock. So I will look forward and concentrate on my translation skills. I will brush up my English, Chinese and Bahasa. Next year I will enroll for Japanese classes. I would want to capitalise what I have as my advantage and work on them. Not many are good in 2 or more languages. Although the money in translation is not anywhere near as good as interpretation, but it is something that can be done in pajamas... :)

In order to succeed as a translator, I think everything boils down to practise, practise and more practise... With enough practise, nothing is impossible. (or so said the elders... :P)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home